Well I have been busy finishing a class so I haven’t had much time to post a recipe. This is one that I decided to try with 3 random apples I had hanging around on the counter. There are not many ways to make this healthy, but I tried. I used Splenda because a diabetic was joining the table. I also try to stay away from flour as much as possible, so I used almond flour. I have started making it fresh as I need it. Thank you Tiffany for this post!
PREP TIME: 15 mins
COOK TIME: 15 mins
TOTAL TIME :30 mins
All of the sweet and caramely goodness of a traditional apple crisp, stuffed and baked inside fresh Autumn apples with the best crumble topping. Top it off with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce for an incredible fall treat everyone will go crazy for!
Recipe type: Dessert
- 8 apples (I used fuji apples)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ⅓ cup brown sugar – switch to Splenda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup flour – substitute almond flour
- ¼ cup oats
- ⅓ cup brown sugar with the brown sugar and sugar I cut down the amount and switched it to Splenda
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- First, prepare the crumble topping. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, oats, brown sugar, sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Cut in the butter with a pastry knife, or two forks, or with your hands until mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
- Peel and chop 4 of the apples. Add chopped apples, butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon to a medium sauce pan and sauté over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until apples are tender. Remove from heat.
- Chop the tops off of the remaining 4 apples and use a spoon to scoop out the flesh. Discard the flesh.(See Note) You don’t need to get every little bit out, just enough to make a “bowl” for the filling.
- Fill scooped-out apples with apple filling from the sauce pan. Top with a generous amount of crumble topping.
- Place stuffed apples on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes until crumble topping is crispy. Serve warm and top with ice cream and caramel sauce if desired. Enjoy!
*If you have an apple corer, you can remove the core and use some of the flesh in the filling in which case you won’t need 4 whole apples for the filling, probably 3.